Am I doing this right? Am I being a good mom? Am I raising him right? From picking out his clothes to his next school, I often think about these questions. As a first time mom, I seem to be second guessing myself all of the time.
Some moms seem to have it all perfect while I have the tantrum-throwing toddler who would rather climb store shelves than sit quietly in the stroller. The kid’s only a little over one year old. I can’t possibly think I’ve failed this many times in one year. Well no more, debbie-downer for me. It’s time for me to take a much more optimistic approach.
We, as first time moms, have to look at the little victories as we brush out the cheerios crumbs from our cars.
I AM winning as a mom. I just have to know where to look to find my small triumphs and see where the glass is half-full.
- Kid threw his food on the floor. Dog came by and ate it. Yay for not having to clean!
- Kid holds a fork properly while he eats. He still picks up food with his other hand but at least he’s holding the fork.
- Instead of throwing his milk cup after a sip, he politely hands it to me… upside down. It’s about the effort.
- Husband and I went a whole five minutes of conversation before kid interrupted.
- This morning, I managed to shave my legs (ok, only up to my knees).
- A bedtime routine when there was only 1 minute of whining.
- We played in the park and he didn’t dump sand down his pants once. Shoes yes. Pants no.
- Kid did not go #1 OR #2 at all during bath time, YES! He just went right after we put his diaper on. NBD
- Strangers still said he was handsome and cute even during his 5 minute tantrum in the store.
- We only went through ONE bag of snacks at the grocery store
- I put on pre-pregnancy pants and the buttons didn’t pop!
- Kid ate all of his fruits and vegetables, just had to blend it in a smoothie and put sprinkles on top
- Kid got scared of his own shadow, but he ran to me for comfort. (so precious!)
- Left the house, didn’t have to go back for ONE thing. It took 30 minutes longer to leave but whatever…
- Kid runs and tackles me, knocks my glasses off, spills my drink just to give me a hug and kiss. awww…